Sunday, January 28, 2007

Rifle Choices for Alaska




I'm heading to Alaska this fall and plan to hunt Sitka Black Tail deer and Black bear. I need to purchase a new rifle that can knock down a bear and perform well at long range but doesn't pose a significant issue as far as recoil. The recoil on a .300 Weatherby is significant, but not out of line. It wouldn't be a great rifle to sit and shoot at ground hogs all day, but taking a couple of shots while hunting big game would be no problem. Comparing it to the .300 WSM, it is greater. The recoil on a .300 WSM is similar to that of a .30-06. So, remember it will shoot harder, but not out of line. As for benefits of both, the .300 WSM was designed to compete with the .300 Win Mag without the recoil, nor the use of a long magnum action. Recoil wise, it will save my shoulder a bit. It is also known to be very accurate and available in lighter weight rifles. On the other hand, it doesn't handle the larger weight bullets as well as the full length cartridges. So, although it has great benefits in the popular bullet weights, its is limited when trying to expand it into 180 grain and larger bullets. Does anyone have any advice for me?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello-

My name is Josh and I live in S.E. Alaska and own a 300 weatherby which I have used to harvest numerous sitka blacktail. I don't know if you are going to be doing any alpine hunts but if you are the 300 weatherby is an ideal rifle for that environment. I have taken many shots at 300+ yards and the the flat shooting 300 weatherby does a great job. It also performs well on black bear, caribou and moose. However, some people feel that it is a little underpowered for brown bear. Although, I plan on taking it on a brown bear hunt this fall. It is my opinion that if you are going to buy just one rifle and are going to be hunting all of the animals that Alaska has to offer than the 300 weatherby is a great choice.

MADRIVER said...

Josh,

Thanks for your comments. I did end up purchasing a .300 weatherby in a Remington Model 700. It performs woderfully and is quite accurate. Lots of downrange energy to do the job on bear or deer.
At a distance of 200 yards I can place 5 rounds on target and cover them with a quarter. So needless to say I am well pleased with my choice of caliber.